Having a clogged toilet is the worst nightmare in any household. Unclogging a blocked toilet is a dirty task and often a job that a plumber could probably do best. If you aren’t sure about what you are doing, you could cause more damage than good during your efforts to unclog your toilet.
An automatic plunger is a useful tool to have, which can help you to clear your toilet without having to pay over $100 an hour to a plumber for a single visit! There are several different models of plungers ranging from a basic traditional hand-held plunger to semi-automatic options like the Drain Blaster.
If you are looking for a cheaper option and perhaps less complicated, traditional style plunger- check out our top picks for plungers, including picks for elongated toilet bowls and specific brands including Toto and others.
What to look for
- Ease of use: The product you use should be easy to use even by a person who is not tech-savvy.
- Safe on Plumbing: You don’t want to be unclogging your toilet only to realize that you have to call in a plumber anyway, due to the damage to the toilet fittings.
- Cost Considerations: It essential that the product should fit within your budget. After all, you need to balance the cost of unclogging your toilet with the rest of your household budget!
- Quick and preferably free shipping; It is always a bonus to be able to receive your new product within just a few days, and if shipping is free, that’s still an added advantage.
SurePlunge Automatic Toilet Plunger Review
About the Product
Here is a product that should help you in the best way possible to clear a clogged toilet bowl. The central principle behind the SurePlunge automatic toilet plunger is that it delivers a regulated blast of compressed carbon dioxide (CO2) without needing to use corrosive chemicals.
An essential feature of this automatic toilet plunger is that it has a unique, irregularly-shaped seal designed to fit any size of a toilet bowl. Due to its odd shape, the drain line of a toilet bowl is a somewhat complicated piece of plumbing if you need to unclog it. The common tendency is to call a plumber.
However, they are not always available when you need them, and the hourly rate of a plumber can make a sizeable hole in your pocket. This automatic plunger ensures that you can unclog your toilet bowl instantly and cost-effectively.
This heavy-duty toilet plunger is easy to use, and each single-use CO2 cartridge is equally easy to install. When you push the plunger against the toilet drain, the seal presses against the sides of the toilet bowl to form an airtight enclosure. Now, with the push of a button, a burst of CO2 gets released and directed towards the blockage.
Provided that the plunger is held firmly in place, the CO2 builds up a sudden pressure within the enclosure which dislodges the blockage.
The design of the auto plunger is such that the maximum pressure generated within the plumbing system is well within the pressure rating of the pipes so that there is no risk of damaging the piping due to excessive force.
You may ask yourself this question: “How safe is this product?” you can rest assured that it is safe, as CO2 is a harmless gas and the pressure that the plunger generates within the toilet is not dangerously high.
However, please note that this is not a toy – it is a tool, and you need to handle it with care. The following tips should ensure that you use your automatic plunger safely:
- Ensure that the plunger is held firmly in place, deep into the toilet hole before pressing the CO2 release button. This procedure should prevent a kickback which can hurt you.
- Do not fool around with it or allow others to do so.
- Keep it out of the reach of children.
- Prevent exposure to direct heat (120°F) and keep out of direct sunlight.
- Since this is a pressure device, you would be well advised to protect your eyes and face from unexpected splashes to the eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few common questions that people asked about the SurePlunge C02 plunger:
Q: Can we use the SurePlunge on an RV toilet?
A: Unfortunately, NO. RV toilets re-designed differently, and you need to consult the user manual for correct maintenance.
A: You will get three CO2 cartridges with each SurePlunge automatic plunger.
SurePlunge Replacement cartridges can be purchased in refill sets of 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 and you can save money by purchasing them in larger quantities…getting the price of single use down to approximately $1 per use.
Q: Won’t the pressure of the SurePlunge auto plunger damage the plumbing?
A: The maximum pressure buildup in the toilet when you release the CO2 is carefully designed not to exceed the maximum internal pressure rating of the fittings, so your plumbing is safe.
Q: Is the gas used in the cartridge of this heavy duty toilet plunger safe?
A: The gas used in this automatic plunger is carbon dioxide (CO2), which is the same gas used to create fizziness in soft drinks, so yes, it is safe.
Q: What is the difference between an auto-plunger CO2 and a the Drain Blaster?
A: SurePlunge Automatic Toilet Plunger uses carbon dioxide gas from a single-use cartridge to pressurize the toilet to dislodge a blockage. A compressed air plunger, on the other hand, uses a piston to generate compressed air.
Do you still have questions that we haven’t answered, click here for a long list of questions and answers by owners of the SurePlunge
- Cost-effective while compared to the cost of paying a plumber
- Attractive plunger stand included
- You can usually eliminate clogging in a single operation
- Cartridges need to replaced after each single operation
- Expensive compared to other models of plungers
As mentioned earlier, the SurePlunge Automatic Plunger sets itself as the best automatic plunger as it’s unique design uses C02 like no other plunger currently on the market. It is easy to use as you can see in this video:
It is also considered safe on your plumbing, with the SurePlunge you could end up saving money in the long run, as you don’t have to call a plumber every time your toilet gets clogged. If you are not sure you really need an automatic plunger but want ways to unclog toilets without using chemicals see this article.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this review of the SurePlunge and have been able to help you find the best automatic plungers. Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback and questions if any, and we will be glad to respond.