Potty training is probably not the most fun experience for parents, but it is something that has to be done. The good news is that there are so many tools out there that can help to make training your child easier. We have taken a look at some of the best potty training seats for boys and girls, and we have come up with a few that we think would be excellent choices.
We chose the Fisher Price Perfect Potty Ring as our top pick, simply because the design is so unique. While we did really like this one the best, and think it would be a great choice, we did find a few others that seem like they would be great as well.
Shopping around for a potty training seat can be quite frustrating when you see just how many of them there are on the market. You probably have so many questions, and it may all seem like they are just all too similar to one another. First, consider whether you have a boy or girl. Boy chairs need a splash guard, but sometimes they can also be good for girls. A unisex chair may actually be a great choice to prevent messes.
Another thing to consider is the safety and comfort of the design. Safety is important, obviously. As far as safety goes, choose a non-slip chair that will keep your child secure while they are sitting on the toilet. You may also want to consider handle grips, as this just helps your child feel more comfortable and secure.
Finally, consider an easy to clean material that will not harbor germs. If it is hard to keep it clean, chances are you will want to replace it sooner than later. Make a better decision for your budget, and get one that you will be able to keep clean.
Just to clarify, these picks here are for training seats (that sit directly over the adult toilet seat), if you are looking for potty chairs – we’ve written separate articles about the best potty chairs for boys…and girls potty training chairs here.
Best Potty Training Seats for Boys & Girls: Our Top Picks
Potty Training Seat Cozy Greens
One potty training seat that really caught our eye was this design by Cozy Greens. It is not only ideal for round toilet seats but also oval toilet seats, giving you some added versatility. It also has some other great features, including a fun chart to help keep your child on track with potty training.
- It has a built in splash guard that helps boys to keep their pee in the toilet where it belongs but is also ideal for girls as it is unisex.
- It has an anti-slip comfortable design that your child is sure to love.
- The anti-slip helps them to stay safe, and the comfort makes them want to use it more.
- It has a hook that allows you to store it safely on your bathroom wall with a suction cup. This keeps it off of the floor, and out of the way.
- Some parents have noted that it seems a bit wobbly when their child is sitting on it. This may lead to them feeling unsafe.
- The splash guard has been noted to be a bit on the smaller side, making it more difficult to prevent messes.
Fisher Price The Perfect Potty Ring
Next up, we have our favorite by Fisher Price. They have been a leader in the industry for quite some time, and are a well-trusted brand name. Here are some features that make this chair stand out.
- The stylish and rounded design helps to make sure that your child feels safe and secure.
- Unlike flat toilet seats, this one has ridges and dips in all the right places.
- The splash guard is pretty high, making it suitable for both boys and girls.
- It is really easy to use. Simply set it on top of your toilet seat, and it is ready to go!
- It has a convenient hook that makes it easy to store on the side of your toilet so that it is nearby when you need it, but not in the way.
- It does not fit as securely on seats that are padded. This is why they recommend against using it on padded toilet seats.
- It makes the toilet seat sit up higher, so you may need a step stool for your child to reach the seat.
The First Years Soft Grip Trainer Seat
Finally, we have the First Years Soft Grip Trainer Seat. It has a one-piece design that is easy to keep clean, and also easy to fit onto any toilet seat. Check out some of its other features.
- The seat is pretty wide, making it great for kids of all sizes.
- The handles are even widely set, for added comfort and security.
- There is a high splash guard that helps to keep messes at a minimum for little boys.
- The raised back also adds a touch of comfort and stability for your child to lean back some while using the toilet.
- The ridges on the design of this seat tend to be a little more difficult to keep clean.
- The splash guard is not removable, and it may actually get in the way a little bit for girls.
- It does not work as well on toilets that have an oblong shape, as it is more designed for round toilet seats.
The Bottom Line
There are some really great potty training seats out there for both boys and girls. We have covered some of the top picks, and given some great reasons why these are such a good option. While we do really like the Fisher-Price Perfect Potty Ring the best since it has a unique design that offers maximum comfort and security and is also really easy to keep clean, the others are great options as well. Let us know which one you like best.
If you think your child is ready to climb up onto the big toilet, check out these toilet seats with built in ladders…which are a good option for kids that are transitioning to an adult toilet but are still not tall enough to get up on their own without a boost- this option gives them more independence and relieves parents from having to lift them on and off the seat every time they need to use the potty.
For boys, a newer accessory on the market in recent years are training urinals. These are good options for boys that need to practice their aim and get comfortable with a urinal so they can use them when they start preschool…or need to go pee in a public restroom.