If you live in an area where the water is supplied by well, chances are you have hard water.
Well water is almost always hard water, and that can dry out your hair and skin. This is why it is so important to use shower products that help to lock in moisture, to prevent the negative effects of the hard water.
The good news is that there are a lot of great body lotions and moisturizers that can help keep your skin soft and supple, even if you have hard well water. Since we wrote in the past about hard water shampoos and good body wash for hard water areas…some of our readers were looking for a recommendation on lotions.
We took a look at some of the best lotions and moisturizers on the market and have put together a list of some of our top picks. Our favorite is the Nivea Cocoa Butter In Shower Body Lotion, but there are a few others that we thought were worth mentioning as well.
What to Consider
Shopping for the best lotions and moisturizers may not always be the easiest for those with hard water. What works well for someone with soft water may not work the best for someone who lives in an area with hard water. This is because hard water strips your hair and skin of the natural moisture, so you may need something a little more intense.
First, you should look for a moisturizer that contains high-level moisturizing ingredients. Some of the best ingredients to look for include aloe, cocoa butter, shea butter, and other moisture-rich butter. Vitamin E is another great ingredient to look for on the label when shopping for a good lotion.
Aside from looking at the ingredients, it may also be a good idea to find an in-shower moisturizer. Sure, there are plenty of lotions that you can put on after you shower, but in-shower lotions and moisturizers help to lock in the moisture when you shower, giving you added hydration.
Finally, you will want to look for a moisturizer that will go a long way. Many of the moisturizers that have added hydration properties allow a little bit to go a long way. If you have a moisturizer that requires you to put gobs on your skin, then you may be spending more than you have to. Look for something that will last to get the best bang for your buck!
Best In-Shower Hard Well Water Body Lotions & Moisturizers
#1 Eucerin In-Shower Body Lotion
The first moisturizer that made our list is the Eucerin In-Shower Body Lotion. Eucerin has long since been a recognized name in skin care, and this lotion helps to nourish your skin and prevent it from getting dry.
- One of the main ingredients is Pro-Vitamin B5. This vitamin is excellent when it comes to skincare, and helps to replenish your skin with the essential vitamins that it needs to stay healthy.
- The Eucerin brand has been dermatologist recommended, so that means that you can stay confident in its safety.
- You don’t have to worry about any unwanted fragrances or residue, because this lotion is unscented and rinses away without leaving behind a greasy feel.
- The lotion tends to leave behind a slippery feel to the shower floor, so be careful when using it so that you don’t slip.
- If you don’t rinse it all off, it may leave you feeling sticky afterward.
#2 Curel Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer for Dry & Extra Dry Skin
Next, we have this Curel Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer, which is another great choice. The ingredients are actually activated by the water in your shower, giving you optimal results when using it within the shower. The great thing about in-shower lotions like this one is that you can put directly on wet skin and towel off normally without having to rinse or wait before drying off with a towel.
This lotion from Curel also received a National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance which is another check in the plus column for this moisturizer, especially for anyone suffering from eczema or other skin conditions or irritation or suffer from sensitive skin in general.
- If you use it on a daily basis, it can allow your skin to have up to three times its normal hydration.
- It absorbs easily and completely, without leaving behind a sticky residue like many other in-shower moisturizers.
- It has an Advanced Ceramide Complex that helps to keep your skin soft, supple and healthy.
- The design of the bottle makes it difficult to tell when you are running low on moisturizer, so it helps to keep a backup bottle.
- Some people have mentioned that the smell isn’t the most pleasant, but it is not really something that lingers.
#3 – Nivea Cocoa Butter In-Shower Body Lotion
Finally, we have our favorite, the Nivea Cocoa Butter In Shower Body Lotion. It offers an instant moisturizing effect the moment that you put it on in the shower. It has cocoa butter as one of the main ingredients, which has been proven to be extremely effective at hydration.
- Unlike a lot of other in shower moisturizers, this one actually smells great!
- The moisturizing effects will last at least 24 hours, leaving your skin feeling soft and preventing any scaly, ashy issues.
- This product is backed by the Good Housekeeping seal. This means that it has an added guarantee for satisfaction.
- Some people have found that it takes a bit more of this moisturizer, simply because it tends to absorb so quickly.
- If you don’t rinse it off all the way, it can leave your skin feeling sticky. Be sure to do a thorough rinse afterward.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are definitely some great moisturizers and lotions to use with hard well water. Be sure that you keep your skin protected, so that your skin does not become dry and scaly. Consider using our top pick, the Cocoa Butter In Shower Body Lotion by Nivea . It not only has some of the best ingredients, such as cocoa butter, but it also doesn’t take much to get the job done, and it can be used in our out of the shower.
If you are looking for another way to alleviate your hard water problems, you may want to consider installing a simple shower head filter, these come with replaceable filters that remove the excess minerals that cause water hardness. We also recently tried out a bunch of shampoo bars and came up with three that worked well with hard water.
Is there a certain lotion you love? Share it with us in the comments below!