Well, if you’ve landed here, you’re obviously in the market for a new showerhead. While it is one of the most basic bathroom fixtures in our homes, it can be a time-consuming job of searching for the best one.
Part of the confusion is, apart from the wide range in price, there are so many different styles and designs from individual handheld showerheads, to wall-mounted or even combo and luxury rainfall style head or combos.
To help simplify your search we’ve broken down our reviews into the main categories that consumers are shopping for and selected one best pick in each category. If you are still not sure, scroll down as we’ve provided research and detailed reviews on over a dozen of the top options out there.
Best Shower Heads 2019 | By Category
Budget Shower Head: HotelSpa 7-setting AquaCare
Rainfall Shower Head: Luxury Square
For Low Water Pressure: Delta 75152
Shower Head Combo: Ana Bath Combo
RV Shower Heads (click to read a separate article)
If you are dealing with hard water, you’ll want to take a look at these shower filters that can easily be attached to soften your shower water.
Best Inexpensive Shower Heads
Even expensive shower heads eventually break or leak and many apartment dwellers or new homeowners don’t want to spend a lot of money on this simple bathroom fixture. They also tend to harbor bacteria, so it makes sense that you would want to replace it every now and again. There are literally hundreds upon thousands of different shower heads that you can choose from, so how can you know which one is best?
We took a look at some of the best affordable shower heads on the market, and we have compiled a list of the ones that we think really have what it takes to be the best.
HotelSpa 7-Setting AquaCare Series Spiral Handheld Shower Head
This showerhead by HotelSpa is a great choice for people that need added mobility in the shower. It offers a lot of great features. It not only offers a lot of options when it comes to settings, but it is also very adjustable It also has an oversized face, for the ultimate water flow.
- It offers two different brackets for multiple placements. This means that you can have one lower for the kids, and one up high as well.
- Complete with a patented switch that allows you to pause the water flow, thus saving water when you don’t need it.
- The hose is long and flexible, allowing it to move with you for the ultimate shower experience. It is also leak-free.
- Consumers have indicated that the strong spray setting doesn’t often spray strong enough.
- The water flow switch does not have much grip, making it harder for you to switch between settings if your fingers are soapy.
Designed Shower Head Model ROME
This is another great low-cost shower head. It offers a variety of jet modes, five to be exact. It also has some unique features, such as a water-saving ideal jet stream. It is made of stainless steel that is rust and corrosion-proof and is also easy to keep clean. Let’s see what else sets it apart.
- No more leaky shower hoses, because this shower head has a leak-proof gasket seal that keeps the hose from leaking water.
- 59″ Stainless steel shower hose.
- It is easy to install and doesn’t require a professional. This means that just about anyone can set it up.
- The hose is made of metal, and most consumers say that it is really easy to maneuver it around.
- It has a more comfortable feel than a plastic hose.
- It is not as pleasing to the eye as a stainless steel showerhead, as it is white and blue.
- If you are looking for a visually aesthetic shower head, this one may not be the one.
- It does not come with a shower head holder, so you have to either have one already installed or purchase one separately.
Handheld Shower Head by Vive
Finally, we have the handheld showerhead by Vive. This is one of the waterfall simulating shower heads. It comes in an all chrome design, matching just about any bathroom color scheme. It is also designed with a wall-mount and has a really long hose. Let’s see what else this showerhead features that may make it worth your while.
- There are five different settings, including spray, massage, bubble, and even a few combination sprays.
- There is also a pause feature that can pause the spray as needed.
- It will fit all standard showers and is also very easy to install.
- You don’t even have to have any tools on hand to get yourself all set up with a relaxing shower.
- The company offers a lifetime guarantee on all of this showerhead, which means that you can buy it without having to worry about issues later down the road if you have trouble with it.
- Some consumers noted that the bracket that holds the shower head in place is a little too large, making it difficult to keep the shower head still.
- The on and off switch is not very sensitive, and it can be a little difficult to switch between settings.
- The bracket does not allow the shower head to turn, giving less flexibility when using it hands-free.
When it boils down to it, you really have the pick of tons of different shower heads. Choosing the best shower head shouldn’t be something you do blindly. We clearly chose the HotelSpa 7-Setting AquaCare Series Spiral Handheld Shower Head for good reason.
It not only offers two different brackets, which makes it ideal for families with people of different height but also has multiple settings for your comfort. Consider this showerhead or one of the others that we have reviewed.
Best Rainfall Shower Heads
Are you looking to purchase a new shower head to improve the quality the water flow and also want the luxury of a rainfall style spray? If so, it’s likely that you don’t know exactly which one to chose as there are so many on the market, so we’re here to save you the trouble.
There are countless deluxe rainfall shower heads you can find online, but we’ll be taking a closer look at the best shower heads you can find online and advising you which one to buy and why you should buy it.
Be sure to read the full review before making your purchase! Even though we believe Luxury Square Rainfall Shower by Togotec is the shower head that stands out from the rest, you might already know what features you’re looking for and other products might be a better suit for you.
Luxury Square Rainfall Shower:
This modern-looking product is more than a great design. It offers very good quality water pressure and also comes with a set of accessories to improve the quality of the shower head itself. It doesn’t offer too many customization options, though, but the product is all about simplicity. It’s certainly bigger than SomovWorld’s showerhead, but it’s still decently sized.
Owners have pointed out how good the water feels when coming out, mostly because of the wide arrange of holes that it has, allowing the water pressure to distribute itself and provide constant flow without overwhelming the user.
Keep in mind that although the showerhead is relatively easy to set up, to get a proper fit you’ll probably want to add some basic Teflon tape (the white plumber’s tape), over the threaded pipe fitting before you screw on the showerhead. If you don’t have any in the house you might want to pick up a roll so you have some on hand.
- Great water pressure evenly distributed through plentiful shower holes.
- Modern designs that fit most bathrooms.
- It provides a nice feeling when showering, according to a wide array of owners.
- It doesn’t tend to break apart soon – overall good quality.
- Lack of customization options could leave buyers wanting for more.
3-way Rainfall Shower Head by DreamSpa:
A chromed but plastic option from DreamSpa has a very nice feel to it, according to its owners, and it feels like a dream after showering the first few times. It has great water pressure and the chrome effect looks good in any bathroom.
There are a couple of downsides to this otherwise highly rated product, though. Owners claim that the plastic isn’t of the highest quality, which actually leads us to its second issue: some buyers report that its lifespan often doesn’t surpass a year.
It might feel better than the Luxury Square Rainfall Showerhead at first, but if you’re unlucky enough to have it fall apart within the first few months it’ll likely not make you happy.
The product’s quality is the one thing keeping DreamSpa’s product away from coming out on top of the other products we’ve reviewed so far. If you’re going to buy it, keep this in mind!e
- It offers pleasant water pressure.
- Easy to set up, although an extra tool (like a wrench) might be needed.
- It comes with a couple of water-regulating rings that are easy to take off, which gives buyers an option to customize the showerhead.
- The durability of the product is questionable, especially for the price
Some people go for quality at the moment of purchase; others go for a cheap price. Thankfully, if you’re looking for a mix of both, you don’t have to give it much thought. The Luxury Square Rainfall Shower comes out on top by checking off two boxes: price and quality. Togotec managed to create a cheaper product than its competitors while also keeping the quality intact.
Are you looking to overhaul your bathroom? We’ve done many other reviews on shower accessories! If you’re looking for a new shower curtain rod.
Low-Pressure Shower Heads:
Delta Faucet 75152 Water Amplifying Adjustable Showerhead. (Image: Amazon)
If you have low water pressure in your home, you know that finding a good handheld shower head that works can be kind of a nightmare. There is nothing worse than standing under a trickle of water from your shower waiting as your life ticks away in the time it takes for the suds to wash off.
Here are the main criteria we used to select our top picks, you’ll notice our number one pick is actually not that expensive, sometimes it a simple solution, in this case from reputable bathroom fixture manufacturer Delta Faucet with its 75152 shower head.
- Area of spray – a large number of these shower heads work by reducing the area that the water sprays out of. To get a more powerful spray the area is narrowed. You need to decide if you prefer a small but strong spray or a large and gentle one.
- Pressure – These shower heads can make a big difference to the feel of your shower but as they don’t pump more water through there is a limit to how much of a difference they can really make. If you have a moderate level f water pressure the effect will be smaller than if you have a truly anemic level of water flow.
- Ease of Installation – most of these showerheads screw-on simply and are no hassle, however, some come with flow regulators. If you are looking for a more powerful experience you may need to remove them, which can be a little fiddly.
- Aesthetics – With some of these showerheads, it is a question of deciding if you prefer form or function. Unfortunately, some of the most effective showerheads on the market are not the best looking.
Our Top Pick: Delta 75152 Shower Head
Delta Faucet 75152 Water Amplifying Adjustable Showerhead. (Image: Amazon)
If you are in a low-pressure area this amplifying shower head by Delta can make a big difference. One of the ways that it increases your pressure is by narrowing the area of dispersal. This does mean that you will have a small area but the water will come out at a much-improved pressure.
If your system has reasonable pressure to start with then this shower head is not likely to make much of an improvement.
The bonus to this shower head is that even though you feel as if there is more water coming through due to the higher pressure, it will actually be using less water. This makes it a great choice if you have low pressure and also live in an area prone to droughts.
If you live in a hard water area you may find that this shower head is particularly prone to building up mineral deposits. They are easily removed with a vinegar soak through, but it is something to be aware of before you buy.
- Very good for low-pressure systems
- Easy Install
- Saves on water use
- Narrow dispersal of water
- Can be prone to mineral deposits
Runner Up: YOO.MEE High-Pressure Handheld Shower Head
This shower head is very good for addressing low-pressure water flow. Even in systems with less than 2gpm it has a positive effect.
The feel of the shower head does come off as a little on the cheap side, and you may find that the shower head makes a rattling sound when you move it around. This is a result of the mechanism in the shower head and not a fault.
IT is possible to adjust the flow rate whilst the shower is in use, as there is a twisting dial at the bottom of the showerhead, this does allow you to regulate the flow, as for some the pressure may actually be too high. It doesn’t have a fully off position however before you get too excited.
The other bonus with this product is that it does come with a 1-year manufacturer’s guarantee so if you do run into any problems you have that reassurance.
- Easily adjustable flow
- Works well with very low-pressure systems
- Feels a little cheap
- Some find it doesn’t stay in the holder easily
Rainfall High Pressure 6″ Shower Head by Somov World.
As this is a rainfall showerhead it does provide a lovely large area of water, the downside is that there is only the one setting, so if you are looking for a massage setting you should probably keep looking.
While this Somov World shower head does restrict water and increase the pressure, because of its rainfall design you may not feel the results as much as you would with a more concentrated spray like the ones above.
When the shower head arrives, it has a water regulator fitted, but if you remove this, which is easily done – you can get more pressure out of the shower head. There is also a filter built into the shower head, this is not a filter designed to purify your water, it is just there to remove any larger pieces of debris from your water supply.
This shower head has a lovely look to it with its chrome-plated finish but some people may be disappointed to find that it is in fact made of plastic. The advantage of this is that you don’t need to worry about corrosion over time, but it can feel like a let-down for the price.
- Optional water saver that is easy to remove
- Built in filter to take out larger mineral deposits
- Made of Plastic
- No adjustable settings
Aqua Elegante Massaging Shower Head
The Aqua Elegante Massaging Shower Head features three unique settings:
- Power Massage – perfect for sore, painful muscles
- Gentle Mist – for a more soothing, relaxing shower
- Saturating Rinse – a nice balance for a traditional shower
On top of these, there is a water-saving feature and two mixed modes.
The showerhead comes with a removable restrictor, which when taken out, boosts the GPM (increases water pressure) to your liking. It is just like having your own spa shower at home. You can choose your favorite setting and enjoy this shower system wherever: at home, in your RV, or even take it with you when traveling. It’s safe for everyone: men, women, kids, and even pets.
The showerhead is crafted using high-quality material: mainly heavy-duty ABS plastic. It comes with brass fittings that prevent leaks from happening. You can use it in other outdoor spots, as you wish. And you don’t need to worry about forming rust because its material is rustproof.
Hard water is a problem for many people. This showerhead has self-cleaning nozzles that prohibit the buildup of natural calcium and other substances. If you are going on a trip, take the shower head with you and use it on your RV, or even your hotel room.
- 3 unique settings
- Solves hard water problem
- Perfect for RVs and other outdoor applications
- The shower operates too loudly for some users
- After a few months of use, it tends to leak water around the joints
- Once leaks have started, shower options will be limited
Speakman S-3010-E175 Neo Anystream Multi-Function Shower Head
This Speakman showerhead is geared with their signature Anystream 360° – a patented piece of technology that lets you transition between spray settings with ease. Water is distributed evenly, every time, covering the entire body and utilizing all of the showerhead nozzles.
Its plungers are also a patented technology, which let out a spray of water that is more controlled – so that enough pressure is built and intensified. As a result, you get great shower pressure – even if the water pressure is currently low. This shower system has a 1.75 GPM flow rate, certified by WaterSense. You can choose from three spray settings: Full Intense, Massage, and Combination.
The plungers are self-cleaning, avoiding the buildup of sediment and hard water. It is super easy to clean up and keep in top shape. The plastic coating is designed to last longer than most showerheads, and the entire unit comes in a luxurious chrome finish. It is rust and corrosion-resistant.
- 3 spray settings to choose from
- Nice chrome finish
- AnyStream 360° lets you change spray settings seamlessly
- Customer service isn’t as efficient as you would wish
- After several months of use, the shower pressure becomes very low, even if the water valve is removed
- Tends to drip and leak after many months of use
Purelux Rainfall Showerhead
The Purelux Rainfall Shower Head measures 8 inches, the shower arm is 16 inches, and it has 105 silicone nozzles, all of which are easy to clean. You’ll get a nice luxurious shower experience – as if you are out in nature, under actual rainfall. The flow rate is nothing over 2 gallons per minute when the flow restrictor is attached.
It has a brass swivel ball that lets you change the showerhead angle as you wish. The shower arm is made of solid stainless steel – rustproof, durable, and made to last.
There is a standard half-inch NPT tapered thread so you can tighten the showerhead to pipe fittings by hand in shower walls – at home, in your RVs, or even in other outdoor facilities. The package includes plumber’s tape and the user-friendly instruction manual. You don’t need tools to set it up – anyone can install it quickly.
Standard 1/2” NPT tapered thread allows for easy hand tightening to pipe fittings in the shower wall. Plumber’s tape and instruction manual included. It is an easy tool-free installation, no need to call a plumber.
- Perfect for home and RV use
- Easy setup and installation
- Hassle-free cleanup and maintenance
- It is quite small for some users
- The water pressure and flow rate is lower than what other customers prefer
- Some report that the bottom of the shower system fell apart after several months of use
ShowerMaxx Luxury Spa Grade Rainfall High-Pressure Shower Head
This ShowerMaxx high-pressure showerhead comes with precision-engineered nozzles – 90 of them, to be exact. That’s more than most showerheads have. It’s a very luxurious experience that you can have at your own home or RV – anytime you want! These nozzles have high-pressure jets, on a 6-inch faceplate, that offer a truly relaxing shower. It comes fitted with an adjustable ball joint that allows flexibility during use, so you get the perfect angle every time.
You can be assured of high-pressure flow at 2.5 GPM. Simply take out the flow restrictor to increase the pressure even more. The jet nozzles, with a nickel finish, come self-cleaning, so you enjoy great performance without worrying about sediment and hard water buildup.
The package includes everything you need for quick and easy installation: flow restrictor, sand filter disc, the showerhead kit, and a user manual. You also get free Teflon plumber’s tape.
- 90 high-pressure jet nozzles
- A nice finish and overall look
- Self-cleaning and easy to install
- Some users said the plastic covering falls off after some time of use
- There is a loud noise noticeable after several months of use
- When the parts get loose, water is sprayed from the back instead of from the jets in front
If your aim is to improve your water pressure because you are struggling with a very low-pressure system then the Delta 75152 Shower Head is the shower head that is most likely to give you the stronger flow you are looking for. Since it also saves water it is hard to argue with it as a sensible choice. The issue of mineral deposits is only going to affect a small number of households and, if you do live in a hard water area then maintaining your appliances is something that becomes habitual any way.
Shower Head 2-1 Combos:
One of the best bathing experiences is having a bath using a shower head combo. These systems are a 2-1 combination of a hand-held shower head and a second fixed shower head. There are several companies out there who claim that their product is the best.
With such a competitive market, you could quickly get confused, so we have created a brief but informative guide to help you in your quest for the best shower head combo on the market.
Ultimately we felt that the Ana Bath Anti-Clog Spray 5” 5 Function Combo Shower with 5 Foot Hose was the best choice. However, we have included the details of other models as well, to accommodate the different preferences depending on what you are looking for.
Ana Bath Anti-Clog Spray
This shower system by Ana Bath has an anti-clog nozzle spray which is a great help when it comes to maintenance. The anti-clog mechanism helps you to remove calcium and mineral deposits regularly. This is especially useful if you shower with hard water.
The coverage of the shower head is considerably more than others. The extra coverage also gives you a spa-like experience in the comfort of your bathroom which is aided by the five different functions which include combinations of massage, saturating and bubbling.
Parts are also metallic, made of brass and stainless steel which adds to the longevity of the product. Instead of just being polished, the surfaces of the components of this anti-clog combo shower have a special coating.
- Easy to install
- Different modes give a spa-like experience
- Useful anti-clog mechanism
- Robust metallic parts
- High-quality anti-corrosive coating
- Uses more water
- Certain plastic parts may affect the life of the product
This combo by HotelSpa is a powerful shower with excellent mobility and flow control. You can either use each component separately or in combination. 30 different water flow patterns are provided like power jets, pulsating action to facilitate a massage-like effect, mist and rain effect. The rub clean jets allow for easy maintenance. This fixture has electronics and includes a convenient on/off switch in the handle.
This shower head combo provides the best quality with patented parts like the 3-way diverter and various fasteners. This shower head combo is also easy to install, and you don’t need any tools for installation. The main body uses high-quality Chrome Plated ABS, but the shower hose is stainless steel. The lifetime warranty is a statement of good quality by the company. The company has a fully-fledged customer service department to respond to any queries and complaints if any.
- 30 different water flow patterns
- Easy to install and no tools required
- Simple maintenance
- Lifetime warranty
- Showerhead sometimes gets loose while using
- Quality of fasteners occasionally poor
- Lacking customer service
Bath 5 Function LED Shower Head Combo
This shower head combo system by Ana Bath has pleasantly-colored LEDs which impart a pleasing tint to the water as it cascades out of the shower heads. The hose of the hand-held shower attachment is 60 inches long and is made of stainless steel. Installation is easy, and no tools are required – you can install it by just using your bare hands!
There are five different functions that vary from saturating spray and massage spray to bubbling spray and combinations of all these different modes. Another useful feature is that batteries are not required to supply power to the LEDs, but it is the water flow which generates the electricity. The nuts that fix it are of good-quality metal which unlike plastic nuts, do not split over time.
- Smart finish
- Attractive LEDs impart a violet tint to the water
- Sufficiently long hose
- Water-powered LEDs
- Easy installation with no tools required
- Replacement heads not available
- The pressure of the spray could be higher
- Lights sometimes go out after extended use
How to install a shower head combo:
While these combo shower heads can add the feeling of a luxury home spa, they really are pretty simple to install. Most models do not require and professional installation and can be installed simply using an adjustable wrench, adjustable pliers thread seal tape (the white plumber’s tape). The thread tape just helps create a tighter seal and prevent leaks and drips. This short video below is made specifically for Moen brand shower combos but is still a useful how-to and is applicable to almost all combo brands and models on the market as the installation process is very similar for all.
What to Consider When Buying a Shower Head:
When you are shopping for a shower head, there are several things that you will want to consider. First, consider the type of shower head.
Some shower heads are considered fixed, which means they attach to the water outlet and remain there.
Another feature that may be important to look for is water-saving technology. This allows you to use less water, thus lowering your water bill and also giving you the ability to conserve in times of water shortages. This feature can also make lower water pressure feel higher, so it may be ideal if you live in an area with low pressure.
Some shower heads will also have adjustable settings that let you decide how the water sprays. You can choose from a massage or pulsating spray, or a mist style, or even one that mimics rain. Having this adjustability allows you to customize your shower experience to the fullest.
Our selection process:
Here are some of the criteria we have for rating and ranking the shower heads that made it (and didn’t show up on our list).
- Company Track Record: It is always a good idea to go with products from a company with a good track record. Don’t just visit the product page but also take a look at the home page of the manufacturer.
- Customer Reviews: There’s a lot of information about the performance of the product to be found in customer reviews. Pay particular attention to negative reviews which can tell you things about the product that the manufacturer will not.
- Technical Details: Do a bit of research on the specifications of these products. That way you will understand the technical jargon on the product details page much better.
- Adjustments: The shower head combo should provide adequate adjustments which should be easy to use.
- Personal Requirements: Be aware of your requirements like your height, your personal preferences, choice of color, ease of use and so on.
- Water Usage: Water is a precious commodity. It is always better to choose a shower head that delivers the required pressure but also consumes less water.
- Unique Features: Look for some unique features that the other models don’t have. For example, a particular type of jet or some innovative self-maintenance system.
Pin for Later