With the passage of time, even a brand-new bathroom will begin to show signs of wear and tear. The joints begin to open up and you’ll occasionally need to seal those cracks and gaps with shower caulk. Mildew and mold thrive in damp places and the
the bathroom is the most likely spot. Because of that, we recommend using a shower caulk specifically designed to prevent
mildew and mold from forming. We like this shower caulk from Sashco because it’s been cured to prevent mold and mildew but we’ve also reviewed some other good mildew-free caulks below.
The accumulation of mold and mildew causes discoloration and can cause damage to bathroom accessories and surfaces. For this reason, we use shower caulk. Apart from the nasty look and damage, it can do to your bathroom, mold can be a serious home health hazard.
Here, we provide you an insight into how to select shower caulk and highlight a few of the best brands in the market. Although we chose the Sashco 13010 10.5oz Sashco Sealants Clear Lexel Adhesive Caulk as the best shower caulk to prevent mildew, we included a few other brands, to give you a wider choice in case of specific requirements.
What to Look for:
- Use a good product: If you aren’t able to get a reputed brand locally, it is better to buy it online.
- Ensure Flexibility: On setting, a good shower caulk should be flexible and rubbery.
- Color Factor: It is good to use a transparent or white caulk that doesn’t discolor over time.
- Adhesive properties: Good shower caulk should stick well to surfaces.
- Mildew Resistant: Your shower caulk should be mildew and mold resistant.
- Paintable, if required: If you plan to paint the surface after applying caulk you should ensure that the product has “paintable” mentioned on its packaging.
Top Rated Shower Caulk to Prevent Mold and Mildew
#1 Loctite 1515861 Polyseamseal Tub and Tile Adhesive Caulk,
Although useful for waterproofing and mildew prevention for shower systems and bathtubs, Loctite 1515861 Polyseamseal is a good general-purpose sealant as well, so it is a handy thing to have around. It is an all-American product and can be used for surface preparation while installing plumbing fixtures in bathrooms and kitchens.
This shower caulk adheres well to ceramic, porcelain, fiberglass, enamel, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, various plastics, and wallboard. The mildew prevention properties of this shower caulk are attributed to the ‘mildewcide’ content contained in it. It is flexible and durable and is one of the longer lasting shower caulks available.
- General purpose sealant
- All-American product
- Good anti-mold, anti-mildew properties
- Flexible and durable
- Not instant-setting
- Shrinks which can cause cracks
#2 Sashco 13010 10.5oz Sashco Sealants Clear Lexel Adhesive Caulk
High on durability, Sashco adhesive caulk is resistant to regular cleaning and exposure to abrasive household cleaners. This caulk has a high degree of elasticity which results in a strong and permanent bond that doesn’t crack, tear or pull away from the joint. It also sets instantly, which eliminates annoying waiting periods for using the facility again.
Its anti-mildew properties prevent mold and mildew from accumulating on the surface of the caulk. Another great advantage of this shower caulk is that it can be applied to moist or wet surfaces. Totally transparent, so you get a nice, clear joint without yellowing or clouding over time.
- Can be used on wet surfaces
- Extremely elastic
- Does not turn yellow in time
- Needs a dehumidifier and fan for better results
- Sometimes does not adhere to as expected
#3 GE Silicone GE284 Clear Kitchen & Bath Silicone Caulk
With GE Silicone Kitchen and Bath Caulk, you can use your shower or bathtub after 3 hours of application. This shower caulk is guaranteed to keep the area free of mold or mildew for up to 5 years. The product can be used on almost all surfaces, including ceramic, laminate, glass, metal, plastic, granite and wood.
GE Silicone Kitchen and Bath Caulk meet the requirements of most Federal Standards requirements. It is 100% waterproof, highly flexible and less susceptible to shrinking, cracking or crumbling. The high silicone content makes it extremely heat-resistant and equally resistant to the UV rays emitted by direct sunlight. The product is 100% US manufactured.
- Fits well with most caulking guns
- Meets Federal requirements
- Highly flexible
- Excellent heat resistance
- 100% American
- Not entirely clear on setting
- Tubes sometimes burst
- The product has an expiry date
- Doesn’t always stop mold
#4 Dap 18285 Dynaflex 230 Premium Indoor/Outdoor Sealant
This adhesive caulk can be universally used both indoors and outdoors. It is highly durable and an all-American product. Easy to use, Dynaflex Outdoor/Indoor Sealant is good for providing a watertight and airtight seal which will not deteriorate over time. The anti-mold and anti-mildew properties are particularly useful in damp and humid places like the bathroom and around your kitchen sink.
Although not transparent, the color of this sealant is white, so should blend with most colors. You may need to exercise discretion if you are going to use it on dark-colored surfaces. Since the contents are a bit hard to apply by manually squeezing the tube, you would probably do well to use a caulking gun if you need to use a considerable quantity at a time.
- White color matches most décor
- Good anti-mold and anti-mildew properties
- Durable product
- White doesn’t suit some backgrounds
- Need to use a caulking gun
- Sometimes will not set as expected
How to caulk your shower properly to prevent mildew:
- Caulking is not complicated. However, for best results and to prevent mildew, you should do the job properly and not use cheap off-the-shelf caulk. To do a thorough job, here are a few useful tips:
Video: The best way to caulk your bathtub or tile shower stall:
- This short video gives some practical tips on the best way to properly caulk your shower to prevent water damage and the accumulation of mildew or mold.
The Final Verdict
After a great deal of research, we chose the Sashco 13010 10.5oz Sashco Sealants Clear Lexel Adhesive Caulk as the best shower caulk to prevent mildew. In line with what we discussed previously, this shower caulk is extremely elastic after setting. It also sets instantly and a unique feature is that it can even be applied to a moist or wet surface. This caulk is transparent, so you don’t have to bother about the color of the surfaces to which you are going to apply it.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. Please do leave your valuable feedback, comments, and questions if any and we will be glad to respond.