Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that causes dryness, flaking, and scaling of the skin. It affects almost all people regardless of age and gender. It is not contagious and harmful but can be embarrassing especially when those dry white flakes fall from your hair to your shoulders.
Dandruff can be caused by several factors including dry skin, sensitivity to hair products, and several skin conditions like eczema and seborrheic dermatitis and worsens during fall and winter seasons. It is usually can be controlled by shampooing daily with a gentle cleanser but complicated cases may require the use of medicated shampoos.
Anti-dandruff shampoos in the form of a bar are one of the effective ways to reduce and treat dandruff.
Shampoo bars are now gaining popularity on the market especially for those who are environmental advocates as they avoid the use of plastic. They are also popular among frequent travelers as they avoid problems carrying liquids through security or buyers who prefer to use natural and vegan products. A shampoo bar is basically a shampoo in a solid form, mostly made of natural and organic ingredients, and comes in plastic-free packaging.
There are a lot of shampoo bars out there to choose from and here are some of the best all-natural, eco-friendly, plant-powered shampoo bars that are great everyday essentials for beautiful and healthy-looking hair.
- 11 Best Shampoo Bars For Dandruff: Our Top Picks
- Ethique Eco-Friendly Solid Shampoo Bar for Dandruff or Touchy Scalps
- DermaZinc Zinc Therapy Soap
- Organic African Black Soap
- Noble Formula 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZnP) Original Emu Bar Soap
- Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve Organic Natural Shampoo Bar
- ArtNaturals Shampoo Bar 3 Piece Set
- The Yellow Bird Solid Bar Shampoo Soap
- Eco Friendly Real Beer Solid Shampoo Bar
- Eggcellent Egg & Lemon Shampoo Bar for Shiny Healthy Hair
- Tea Tree Oil Shampoo Bar for Hair, Body, and Beard
- SAL3 Acne Treatment Soap
11 Best Shampoo Bars For Dandruff: Our Top Picks
Ethique Eco-Friendly Solid Shampoo Bar for Dandruff or Touchy Scalps
The Ethique Eco-Friendly Kiwi Shampoo bar has to be one of the best natural shampoos in the market to treat dandruff. Kiwi fruit and oil are rich in nutrients and vitamins that fight hair loss and stimulates hair growth, prevent hair from drying and keep it nourished for a softer feeling.
It is formulated together with coconut oil (for thicker and volumized hair), neem oils (has anti-oxidant properties that increase hair growth), oatmeal (for softer, silkier hair and healthy scalp), calendula and manuka oils (soothes dry scalp and removes dandruff) that instantly hydrates hair and scalp and gets rid of dandruff for a healthy-looking you. This plant-powered shampoo bar is also ideal for color-treated hair because it is 100% soap-free and pH balanced.
It is infused with Karanja oils which have therapeutic properties that ensure your scalp is dandruff-free. The shampoo bar being a vegan and eco-friendly product is a great everyday essential for beautiful hair.
- Gives thin hair a lift and volumized look
- Cost effective (it last longer than liquids if stored properly)
- Leaves hair noticeably soft
- Controls frizz for easy hair-styling
- No harsh chemicals used
- Biodegradable and sustainable
- Great and long-lasting smell
- The shampoo bar is made of natural products, makes it be dissolved easily
- For the scalp to become used to natural shampoo bars, an adjustment period is needed
DermaZinc Zinc Therapy Soap
DermaZinc Zinc Therapy soap can be used as a shampoo, face wash or body wash. It is specifically formulated to help relieve the itching sensation, irritation, scaling, flaking, and redness associated with skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. The addition of the active ingredient Zinc Pyrithione works wonders on different chronic skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis and helps fight dandruff and itchy scalp because of its antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
Extracts of coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, cocoa butter, organic oatmeal, shea butter, salt, deionized water, glycerine, sodium hydroxide, zinc oxide, and Vitamin E generally keep hair’s moisture in and damage out. It is also extremely effective in reducing dryness and irritation of the skin and hair and eliminates dandruff. There are also successful reports that DermaZinc soap can be used to treat acne. It is safe and effective to use daily for both adults and younger ones.
- The soap is gentle to the skin, and soothe almost all types of skin irritations
- Hypoallergenic formulas
- The soap is fragrance-free
- Reduces oil in the skin
- Price is affordable compared to similar shampoo bars
- Ingredients help to prevent or relieve scaling and itching of scalp, but in some instances may show signs of irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy
- The shampoo bar may leave a residue depending on your hair type
Organic African Black Soap
The Wonderfully Natural Organic African Black Soap is highly effective on both skin and hair care, making it one of the most popular products for skin nourishment. As a hair cleanser, it gently cleanses and removes build-up and impurities while enhancing your hair’s natural beauty. When used as a face and body cleanser, it helps to minimize acne breakouts, lighten dark spots, relieves dry skin, alleviates oily skin and helps treat several skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
The soap’s signature formula, Shea butter acts as a moisturizer. It is filled with Vitamins A and E that have healing properties for the skin, prevent hair loss, and relieve the scalp from drying and flaking. Other organic ingredients include cocoa pod powder, palm oil, palm kernel oil, and coconut oil that generally keeps skin smooth and hydrated without the greasy build-up. It leaves hair shiny, strong, protected, healthy-looking, and manageable for easy styling.
- Lathers easily and richly
- It has organic cocoa scrub bids that naturally exfoliates the skin
- No soap residues, dyes, or charcoal
- 100% natural and has vitamins and minerals that nourish the hair and skin
- It can be used both as shampoo and conditioner
- No irritation because of its mild fragrance
- Reduces dandruff and dryness of scalp
- Makes skin squeaky clean
- Works for all skin types
- Easily dissolves when left in contact with water for a long time, since it is softer than other bar soaps
- It can sting if you have are skin cuts and pimples
Noble Formula 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZnP) Original Emu Bar Soap
The Noble Formula Original Emu Bar soap with 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZnP) is a gentle and effective cleanser made in the United States. It is generally used to remove the build-up of oil, dirt, and debris while relieving the itchiness and irritating feeling caused by the dry scalp and several skin conditions. The soap is specifically formulated for people with eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, dry and sensitive skin.
Each soap bar contains an active ingredient of Pyrithione Zinc, just like in the DermaZinc Therapy bar soap. It has antifungal and antimicrobial properties and is best known for treating dandruff. The goodness of olive oil and emu oil extracts instantly penetrates into the skin and keeping moisture in that lasts long. In addition, the milled oats formula act as a skin exfoliant with calming and soothing properties. It is great everyday essentials for healthier hair and skin and works well for all skin types.
- The soap can be used in hair and body
- Safe for all skin types since it is made without harsh chemicals
- The milled oats act as a skin exfoliant
- The product is cruelty-free
- It does not produce a good lather
- Ingredients help to prevent or relieve scaling and itching of the scalp, but in some instances may show signs of irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve Organic Natural Shampoo Bar
With the simple mission to use the power and simplicity of nature to cleanse, soothe, heal and protect your skin, the Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is one to beat in the market. The company is dedicated to crafting high-quality, healthy, and effective skin and hair products that will not only nourish your skin but is also environmentally friendly. Offering its top-of-the-line product, the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo bar is a rich oil infusion of Ayurvedic hair care herbs for a nourishing all-natural shampoo.
This bestseller shampoo contains a complete package of nourishing and helpful herbs to combat dandruff and enhance the overall quality of your hair.
Some of the power ingredients include Hibiscus flowers which treat issues of the scalp such as itchiness and dandruff; Shikakai, a well-known Ayurvedic herb that gently cleanses hair and increases volume and softness; Bhringaraj, considered the ‘king of herbs, helps strengthen the hair roots and promotes hair growth; and coconut milk which is widely used all over the world as a deep conditioning treatment for hair.
- 100% natural; sulfate-free, silicone-free, and paraben-free
- Its ayurvedic properties enhance the overall wellness of the hair
- It makes your hair soft and easy to manage
- Some users suggest that it is a good shampoo for oily hair
- It has a great smell, excellent lather, and leaves hair squeaky clean
- It is perfectly hand-cut making it convenient for travel
- Some users have reported that it has a tendency to dry out hair after several uses
ArtNaturals Shampoo Bar 3 Piece Set
The shampoo bar by ArtNaturals contains all-natural and organic ingredients suitable for sensitive skin. Aside from the aromatic and relaxing scent it gives, essential oils of eucalyptus (promotes hair growth and relieves itchy scalp), lavender (to soothe the scalp and prevent skin inflammation), and orange (to control oily scalp) formula help treat dandruff, hair fall, and itchiness of the scalp.
Enriched with coconut oil, palm oil and olive oil for a deep-cleansing and nourishing lather experience. It is also sulfate-free to avoid stripping your hair and scalp of natural oils and at the same time freeing it of any grime and dirt. The whole brand is vegan and cruelty-free making it stand out on the market.
- Great and long-lasting smell
- Best value for a great product
- Leaves no residue and rinses fast
- Lasts longer than the liquids if stored properly
- Plastic packaging-free
- Can be used also for washing your body
- Waxier consistency, which makes hair stiff and sticky
- Some users prefer to use it with a conditioner
The Yellow Bird Solid Bar Shampoo Soap
The Yellow Bird, a family-owned and run an all-natural skincare company, boasts its use of simple ingredients yet tremendous results on skincare technology.
One of its bestselling products, the Peppermint Shampoo Bar Soap is specially formulated with the top of line organic ingredients that care for your scalp and hair. It is mild and contains zero detergents that strip your hair of its natural oils.
It is sulfate-free, silicone-free, and paraben-free, and is considered a natural alternative for dandruff shampoo. Its key and unique ingredients include kaolin clay and sea salt which are natural exfoliants and help get rid of unwanted buildup. It is also rich in Vitamin E which hydrates and protects the hair from frizz and breakage.
Lastly, it is an all-in-one eco-friendly shampoo for everyone that can be used from hair to toe making it the perfect travel companion.
- It has a great smell and leaves hair squeaky clean
- Packaging is very good and is very appealing because of zero use of plastic
- Informative packaging for giving of instruction for its proper use and sets of expectations about the transition period for first-time users
- Some buyers say the transition process takes too long
- Recommended use of cider vinegar as a rinse is not convenient to some users
- It does not produce a good lather and some users, especially those with long hair
Eco Friendly Real Beer Solid Shampoo Bar
Beers are our most endeared alcoholic beverage that everyone associates with good times among family, friends, and colleagues, loud parties, and one-of-a-kind moments at any time of the day. However, beer is not just a mere companion as it paved the way for a beauty potion for the skin and for the hair.
The Tasmanian Beer Shampoo Bar and Conditioner Bar Hair set, a crowd favorite duo by the Beauty and the Bees.
These traditional shampoo bars are carefully hand-crafted with the finest Tasmanian beers, hops, leatherwood honey, and beeswax and are enriched with a variety of plant and nut oils. It is also one of our top picks if you have hard water.
Beer has the unique ability to leave hair bouncy, shiny, and voluminous while the hops are soothing and have antiseptic benefits. The bars are naturally chemical-free and are perfect for everyone to use, but are highly recommended for people with dandruff, oily hair & scalp, fine or thin hair, or those who simply want shiny healthy hair.
- Effective against dandruff and has a soothing feeling to the scalp
- It is easy to use and leaves hair squeaky clean
- It does not dissolve easily
- Its scent is amazingly good that lasts through the day
- The transition process to achieve its maximum benefits is not acceptable to some users
- Some users reported that they still have to use the cider vinegar rinse to see the benefit
- It does not produce a good lather especially with long hair
Eggcellent Egg & Lemon Shampoo Bar for Shiny Healthy Hair
Another great product line from Beauty and the Bees is the Eggcellent Egg & Lemon Shampoo Bar. And the key ingredient? Eggs, of course!
Eggs, particularly the yolk, are widely known for a variety of benefits for hair. The yolk acts as a natural moisturizer that hydrates dry hair. It also softens and smoothens the hair but retains its volume and natural shine.
Vitamins A and E which are contained in the egg yolk helps control hair loss problems by strengthening the hair follicles. They also help damaged and brittle hair to prevent hair breakage and split ends. Other helpful ingredients are the lemon and lemon myrtle essential oils that boost the antiseptic property of the shampoo making it effective against dandruff and dry scalp. It is a soap for everyone but is especially recommended for those with thin hair, or for those who are looking for an extra special boost!
- It makes a great lather and leaves hair clean, shiny, and smell like lemons all-day
- The use of simple food ingredients makes it appealing to some users
- It is very easy to use, has a moisturizing feel, and a pleasant smell
- Some users reported that their hair becomes frizzy after they used the product
- Too much use of essential oils making it smell like a perfumed lemon
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo Bar for Hair, Body, and Beard
The Tea Tree Oil Shampoo Bar for Hair, Body and Beard is an all-natural shampoo bar purely handmade with over-the-top quality ingredients that have been carefully selected to provide the maximum hair care benefits. It is among the premium organic soap bars by Soap Haven, which only produces the finest natural soap with premium USDA organic/ non-GMO certified plant ingredients infused with top quality essential oils and other natural goodies.
With the naturally anti-fungal tea tree oil as its active ingredient, it does not only treat symptoms but also targets the root cause of dandruff for long-lasting effectiveness. It is also proven effective against acne and also helpful for body rashes, jock itch, and body odor. It is the perfect organic soap for those who simply want the best!
- No parabens, sulfates, and other chemicals that may harm your scalp and skin
- Gentle ingredients for sensitive hair and skin
- Powerful against dandruff and other skin problems like acne, rashes, and body odor
- It has a good lather but is easy to rinse
- Mild scented but leaves skin smelling clean
- Since it is an organic soap, it tends to dissolve quickly
- The scent does not last long
SAL3 Acne Treatment Soap
SAL3 Acne Treatment Soap offers an advanced way to combat dandruff, acne, and other hair and skin problems. Since 1999, it is the world’s most used and trusted sulfur soap with salicylic acid. It is distributed and clinically recommended by dermatologists across the USA, Canada, Europe, and Australia and has long been considered a perfect over-all remedy to a wide variety of skin conditions.
Its medicated soaps contain premium ingredients of 3% Salicylic acid and 10% sulfur which is known for antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties. These properties make it an ideal treatment soap for relief from Demodex mites on the skin, itchy skin, tinea versicolor, dermatomycosis furfuracea, pityriasis versicolor, Tinea flava, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Eczema, Dermatitis, Itch Mites, Head Lice, Jock Itch, and much more. Lastly, it is also an ideal soap for your pets against annoying fleas! SAL3 is definitely a multipurpose bar soap meant to impress.
- Recommended by dermatologists
- It builds into a good lather and provides soothing conditioning when used
- It is a large bar and can be ordered individually, as a six-pack, a twelve-pack, or even in bulk orders
- Shipping of ordered items is fast and reliable
- Despite its effectiveness, its major drawback is its strong sulfur smell with some users reporting that it lingers on your skin and fabric
- Some users who used it as a shampoo reported that their hair became dry after use
While there are a lot of factors to consider in choosing the best shampoo bar to use against dandruff, it is important to know that the effects of a certain brand will still be different from person to person. Based on the pros and cons of the 11 best shampoo bars for dandruff, the top 2 picks are Ethique Heali Kiwi Shampoo bar and Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve Organic Natural Shampoo Bar-Ayurvedic Herb.
Both products provide a wider range of beneficial effects from hair to toe. They are also proven and considered to be the best natural shampoo bars in the market to treat dandruff. So why use shampoo bars instead of the conventional way of using liquid shampoo? Because they are wholly natural, gentle, environmentally friendly, cost-effective and very convenient.
Pin for Later