Having an elongated toilet bowl presents unique issues – one problem being unclogging your toilet. If you are interested to know how to unclog your elongated toilet bowl, read on.
Today, numerous options can easily get confused by the vast range of toilet plungers available. With this in mind, we bring you the best plunger for elongated toilet bowls to make your job of identifying a suitable product easier.
Although we consider the Korky 99-4A Beehive Max Universal Toilet Plunger as the best pick, we have highlighted other heavy-duty toilet plungers as well, to give you some other options to choose from.
What to look for:
- Toilet vs. Sink Plunger: Make sure you are getting a plunger designed for toilets that have the extra rubber flange shape at the bottom. Simple sink plungers will not fit the neck of the toilet and without a proper seal, you’ll just get a mess rather than unclogging the toilet.
- Durable Material: Always look for a plunger that is made up of heavy-duty material that will not corrode or deteriorate in time.
- Reasonably-Priced: You have loads of other things to pay for while running a house. Even a heavy-duty toilet plunger shouldn’t be too expensive.
- Ease of use: A plunger should be just as described. You should be able to pick it up, use it and poof! Job is done!
All of the plungers on this list are simple rubber plungers for manual declogging your toilet. If you are interested in an automatic plunger (using CO2 cartridges) read our article HERE.
Best Toilet Plungers
Korky 99-4A Beehive Max Universal Toilet Plunger Review
This elongated toilet plunger is designed to fit all toilets, so it should work well with your elongated toilet bowl.
The Korky 99-4A is manufactured in the US, this plunger is made from non-marking rubber. The seals have a unique beehive design which reduces the effort you need to put in while plunging.
The manufacturer has gone into a lot of effort into the development and testing of this heavy-duty toilet plunger. The flexible plunger head fits well into differently-shaped toilet openings. You may have a bit of an issue getting a perfect seal if your toilet opening is square, but adding a bucket of water while plunging might help in factoring in the bit of extra pressure needed to unclog the blockage.
The unique T-shaped handle gives you extra leverage to create an effective pumping motion and is easier to grasp than simple straight handles found on most plungers.
The Korky plunger was voted as one of the best new home products by This Old House back in 2014 and continues to be one of the best-selling and top-rated plungers today.
The Korky plunger is recommended by major toilet manufacturers and tested to work on American Standard, KOHLER, and Toto toilets.
- All-American product
- Better seal than most regular plungers
- Less effort required while plunging
- Soft rubber adapts well to irregularly-shaped toilet openings
- T Shaped handle is easier to grab
- Made of non-marking rubber.
- May not adapt well to some toilet openings
- Wall thickness of the rubber is a bit smaller than other plungers
Toilet Plunger, Samshow Powerful Manual Multi Drain Plunger Review
If you are looking for a little extra boost from a de-clogger, this compressed air plunger could fit the bill.
The Samshow Toilet Plunger is easy to use and maintain, made of safe material with a natural rubber plunger, and fits most toilets like Kohler, TOTO, and American Standard among others.
Another advantage is that you can also use this de-clogger on bathtubs, sinks, and drains as well. This is a decent plunger to have in the house since it works for the kitchen so if you are just looking to have one plunger for all your uses (like a rental apartment) this is a decent pick.
But for a dedicated toilet bowl plunger –look for the extra flange on the bottom, like you see on the review above. This one does have a larger attachment for the toilet but it has the shape you’d see on a kitchen plunger.
This plunger comes with two interchangeable plunger cups, one for toilets and another to use on smaller plumbing like sinks and bathtubs.
- Soft, natural rubber plunger cups
- Two sizes of plunger cups
- Ergonomically-designed handle
- 18-month warranty
- Rubber plunger sometimes gets misshapen while shipping
- The amount of air pressure generated is not always sufficient to do the job
Samshow Toilet Dredge Plunger
The secret behind a unique product is its design. The Samshow Toilet Dredge Plunger is one such example. The construction of this plunger is challenging to describe, but it is a well-thought-out design, with a particular focus on the odd shape of a toilet drain’s S-bend.
This plunger is manufactured using Natural ABS, (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), TPR (thermoplastic rubber) and stainless steel.
The material of this heavy-duty plunger is sturdy, but not abrasive, keeping your toilet surface safe. The plunger works for most types of toilets. The plunging force needed is relatively less than the conventional kind of plungers.
Because of the unique, flexible design, you get a better reach into the ‘S’ bend of your toilet, with improved access to the location of the blockage.
- Unique Shape Adaptable to any Toilet’s S-Bend
- Natural ABS & TPR provides flexibility and toughness
- Unusually-shaped for deeper penetration
- Long stainless-steel handle reduces the effort required for plunging
- More efficient than conventional manual plungers
- Not applicable to squatting-type toilets
- Residue tends to collect on the fins – need to rinse it as you plunge
- Storage container not provided
Read customer reviews of this unique plunger.
Neiko 60166A Toilet Plunger -Budget Pick
While some people don’t even own a plunger and just assume the toilet will eventually unclog itself, we think it’s definitely worth having at least a budget plunger in every bathroom in the house.
We all like to have a good bargain, and the Neiko Toilet Plunger is reasonably priced, wherein your job gets done, but in a cheaper way. However, you could even call this the strongest plunger in the market due to its efficiency.
A lot of thought has gone into the design of this product. The rubber cup has four steps of varying diameter. This design has the dual purpose of firstly fitting into different diameters of toilet openings and secondly, not bending backward in the pipe, due to the additional mechanical strength of the four steps.
The handle comprises of corrosion-resistant aluminum which has a peg-hole on the end so that you can hang your elongated toilet plunger at a place that is handy, yet out of sight when not required.
- Extremely cost-effective
- Efficient, so less effort required to plunge
- Superior, best-quality rubber
- Unique 4-step plunger design
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum handle
- May not work efficiently on an oval or square toilet drain hole
- Rubber is on the hard side, which hampers creating an airtight seal
- Swivel tip acts as an obstruction and can be painful on the palm while plunging
Best Plunger for Toto Toilet:
Our readers often ask about the best plunger for specific toilet brands. Toto is one of the best-selling toilet bowl brands in the US. While plungers are not brand specific, we have heard that the Korky 99-4A (see full review above) does particularly well with most Toto toilets due to its particular beehive shape that gets down into the deep and creates a complete seal over the exit hole.
Read more details from owners of Toto toilets, including the following models: Toto Drake, Toto Aquia, Toto Ultimate, Ultramax Elongated, and other Toto high efficiency and low flow toilets.
Best Plunger for Kohler Toilet:
Kohler makes some of the best selling toilets in the US and their elongated Adair®, Archer®, Corbelle®, Gabrielle™, Kelston®, and Memoirs® one-piece and two-piece standard and Comfort Height® models are some of the most popular on the market.
When looking at specific toilet brands, again the Korky plunger comes out on top in our research due to its unique shape that an elongated rubber flange. The 6″ cup size on the Korky gives a solid seal and the ergonomic handle gives you enough grip and leverage to get a good pumping action.
If you’d like to read more details from owners of Kohler toilets, including the Kohler Cimarron and the newer Kohler toilets with the oval-shaped “keyhole” shaped drain.
How to Unclog a Toilet (Like a Plumber)
Having a good quality plumber is half the battle. It seems so simple that you’d think it really doesn’t need an explanation but there is some skill involved in getting the clog cleared. As this short video shows, the “pullback” motion is just as important- or more important than the downward plunging motion.
As he mentioned in the video if you really can’t get the toilet unclogged you may need to use a toilet auger or snake. This is often what a plumber will use if they’re called to unclog a toilet. So if you have a large family (kids throwing too much toilet paper in the bowl…?) it might be worth the small investment in a household auger like this one…over time it will pay for itself-actually if you just use it once (it’s less than the price of one service call to a certified plumber in most areas).
Our Verdict – Why Korky?
After considering other brands, we chose Korky 99-4A Beehive Max Universal Toilet Plunger as our favored choice as this product is basic, with no gimmicks. It is easy to use and is long-lasting due to the durable materials used in its manufacture.
It is easy to store and it is comparatively cheaper than other similar products and will work to unclog your toilet without using chemicals.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this product review and are now better-informed about how to go about looking for the best plunger for elongated toilet bowls to best suit your requirements.
Pin for Later