No one enjoys digging hair out of their shower or bathtub drain, but hair is inevitable (unless you’re bald of course). The good news is that there are some really useful tools out there that can catch the hair before it clogs your drain. These simple devices are very affordable and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Below we review the most basic round options that just lay over the drain (they come in either stainless steel, plastic or rubber) or the newer variety that actually inserts into the drain itself. There are pros and cons to each of these styles depending on the type of tub or shower you have, which we cover in detail below.
Save yourself a lot of time and effort by getting a shower drain hair catcher.
This very simple and affordable device can prevent pipes from clogging – and save you from headaches. Our top pick when it comes to the best shower drain hair catcher is the LEKEYE stainless steel hair catcher for its simplicity and low price. However, we’ve covered several other very decent options below.
Let’s take a closer look at some of our other top picks and see how they all measure up.
Best Shower Drain Hair Catchers
LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
First up on our list is our personal favorite, the LEKEYE shower drain hair catcher. It not only offers a great design that will help to trap the hair, but it is also made up of stainless steel. This means it will be easy to keep clean, and you won’t have to worry about any rust spots being left behind. Click here to check price and read reviews.
- It has holes that are designed specifically to take hold of your hair, not allowing it to go down the drain. This is due to the elliptical design.
- It is not only made of rustproof stainless steel, but it also has a silicone seal around the edge that helps to keep it in place.
- The stainless steel design allows the hair catcher to stay flat, flush with your drain. This is important because many silicones or rubber versions tend to tear or curl up over time.
- The silicone ring has the ability to mold over time if you don’t keep it clean and dry. This is why cleaning the hair catcher is so very important.
- Since it has a flat design, it can be easily moved by your feet if you have a shower drain right in the middle of the shower floor.
DreamInn Hair Catcher
If a silicone design is more your style, then you may consider the DreamInn hair catcher.
This hair catcher comes in a pack of four, so you can use it not only in your showers but also your kitchen sinks.
- It has 5 suction cups that help to keep it in place. This means you won’t have to worry about it sliding around.
- Silicone design is dishwasher safe, so you can run it through a sanitary cycle just to make sure that you keep it extra clean.
- Stylish star shape means it is not only functional, but it is also stylish. It is really great for a kid’s bathroom as well.
- Affordable (check current price)
- Silicone design has been known to rip or tear after months of use, so you really have to be more careful with it than you would a stainless steel version.
- The holes are a bit small, making it harder for the water to drain down.
Danco, Inc. Hair Catcher
This drain catcher by Danco has lots of holes for water drainage for your shower while still collecting the hair. It is also good to use for other drains as well, not just the shower. This makes it really versatile.
- Easy removal allows you to clean it easily and put it back into place. Suction cups don’t lose their suction, no matter how often you remove it for cleaning.
- It is acceptable for use in the kitchen sink as well, to keep out food and other debris. It also comes in a two-pack, so you can put one in each drain if you want.
- Suction cups may not be able to get a good suction if you have decorative tile in the bottom of your shower.
- It may start to curl up or bend after time, making it not as useful as collecting the hair. These items, however, are meant to be replaced after time.
Uxoz Drain Hair Catcher
If you are looking for a drain insert that goes into the drain rather than just laying on top of the drain hole, you may want to take a closer look at this stainless steel drain hair catcher by Uxoz.
TubShroom Ultra Revolutionary Drain Hair Catcher
The TubShroom Ultra Revolutionary Drain Hair Catcher takes pride in its name – and the tech to back it up. Unlike most hair catchers and plugs, this one fits inside, not over, the drain, conveniently collecting the hair as it goes down the drain.
You can use this for most regular drains – tubs, showers, and sinks. It is designed to remove the stress that comes with cleaning up hair – both human and pet.
Why should you use this instead of other products already in the market? Well, for one, drain snakes can be a hassle to use. Liquid chemical cleaners aren’t 100% effective – plus, let’s be honest: they’re no friend to the environment.
If you hire a plumber, it’ll cost you hundreds of dollars. You can help save your money, time, and effort with this simple and revolutionary product.
- Revolutionary technology that’s unique in the market
- Fits most drains
- Easy to clean up
- It can be tough to open the package upon arrival
- Daily clean up may be necessary to keep it in top shape
- If it isn’t clean, it can cause clogging of water and residue
Yofidra Bathtub Stopper Hair Catcher for Shower Drain
This Yofidra hair catcher comes in a smartly made design, meaning it does more functions than most other shower drains. It catches hair and it can be used as a drain stopper for your tub.
You can use it as a stopper, so there’s no need for two separate products.
Simply flip down its silicon cover to use it as a stopper, and flip it again if you want to use it as a hair catcher.
It fits most standard tub drains, with diameters ranging from 1.35 to 1.75 inches. This product prevents clogged drains by catching hair efficiently. Catch human and pet hair without affecting water flow and drainage. This saves you money and could even save a call to the plumber which can cost hundreds of dollars.
Plus it’s safe for your home and the environment – unlike harsh liquid drain cleaners.
The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the product.
- Fits most standard drains
- Dual-use: hair catcher and stopper
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Strong water pressure entering the tub sometimes makes the stopper close
- The screw in the middle is prone to rust
- The drain rate is very slow when there is too much water pressure or too much hair
Femonden 2 Pack Bathtub Sink Drain Hair Catcher
The Femonden Bathtub Sink Drain Hair Catcher is unique from other ordinary plugs because it goes inside the drain. It collects hair around it as they fall down the drain. Just wipe it when it’s time to clean up. No need to use other chemical cleaners.
The item is made of high-quality silicone that lets it fit snugly into the drain. It’s not too thick or bulky, maximizing water flow, and preventing clogs.
This pack includes two sizes of drain hair catchers. The tub drain fits 1.5 to 1.75-inch drains, while the bathroom sink drain is for 1 to 1.25-inch drains.
- Includes two different drains
- Made of high-quality silicone
- Collects hair inside instead of outside the drain
- Sizes of the inserts included don’t fit regular-sized sink drains
- Clean up is required regularly to keep them from clogging
- Customer service is difficult to contact
Lines One Portable Steel Hair Catcher
The Lines One Portable Steel Hair Catcher is a smart tool that all homes should have. It prevents clogging by trapping hair effectively. And it works on other debris, too – dirt, trash, gunk, even thick shampoo lather. By using this, you save money from having to hire plumbers which would be much more expensive. You don’t have to wait for hours of repair, either.
The hair catcher meets the size requirements of standard tub drains, 1.35 inches inside and 2.75 inches outside. It is made of stainless steel, which is rustproof, so you can confidently use it every day.
It requires absolutely zero professional help to install. Just fit it into the drain, hassle-free, and you’re set. It also works on showers drains, kitchen sinks, and bathroom sinks.
- Works on shower, tub, sink, and bathroom drains
- Highly portable and easy to install
- Easy to clean up
- Some find the holes to be too large
- Hair tends to go straight through the holes
- Other users think it’s too shallow and won’t stay in place
What to Consider
When it comes to buying a shower drain hair catcher, it is a good idea to know what you are looking for. There are some ‘hair catchers’ out there that are really just devices that allow you to snake out the hair. This is often not what you want to look for. The best hair catchers actually trap the hair before they go down into your drain.
It is also a good idea to know that there are a lot of different materials that these hair catchers can be made up of. Some of the best will be made up of stainless steel, but there are also some other silicon or rubber versions for you to choose from as well. Stainless steel, however, is much easier to keep sanitary and clean. Don’t opt for other metals, however, because they can tend to leave rust marks on your shower or tub.
Finally, consider the size of the drain holes. You don’t want something that has really tiny holes, as this can stop the flow of water down your drain and cause the water to back up. No one wants to stand in inches of water as they shower. Just remember, the bigger the holes, the more hair will be able to get through.
While we definitely would choose the stainless steel LEKEYE, the other two are great options as well. Just remember, you want a hair catcher that is going to be effective at catching the hair, while not stopping up the water flow. Always keep your hair catcher cleaned out because as the hair begins to collect it can really start to harbor bacteria.
It is a good idea to clean it at least every other day or so, or more often if you tend to lose a lot of hair while you are in in the shower. If you don’t clean it regularly, it will clog and make even the best hair catcher cause water to back up in the bathtub or shower plate.