Keeping track of up with your weight can be pretty daunting, especially if you are a heavy person. Many scales on the market do not measure accurately over 300 pounds. The good news is that there are high capacity scales out there for you to choose from for people that weigh 400 lbs and some high capacity scales that can weigh people over 500 lbs. If you are looking for a high capacity scale that can hold upwards of 500 or more pounds you will really have to look into the specifics of the scale and look for bariatric scales that are not only designed for the weight buy have heavy duty construction that will hold up to the extra weight.
There are a lot of scales that are designed for high capacity, and we have taken a look at some of the top choices. Our favorite is the My Weigh Talking Bathroom Scale. It has a lot of great features, but there are some others that we thought were worth mentioning as well.
What to Consider
When it comes to shopping for a bathroom scale, especially a high capacity bariatric scale, you will need to take a few things into consideration. First, look for a scale that holds a minimum of 500 pounds, to ensure that it can withstand the weight.
You should also take a look at the size of the base that you will be standing on. If you have larger thighs, your stance will be wide, so it is important to have a large wider platform at the base of the scale. This will not only help you to feel more comfortable on the scale, but also gives some added stability.
Having a larger platform also makes it easier to see the numbers on the scale that might be hidden from view – with a lot of smaller scales on the market it can be hard to see the display when looking down as it’s blocked from view by your belly. Bigger platforms with large number displays help solve this problem for heavy persons.
There are other features that you may want to look for in a scale as well, such as the ability to track your progress. Tracking progress is really easy when it is built into your scale, but this isn’t a must have feature.
Finally, consider looking for a scale that is easy to read. Digital scales are generally the easiest to read, but there are some out there that have extra large displays that make it even easier, and there are even some that will talk to you!
If you are looking for high capacity scales, you may also be in the market for a heavy duty toilet seat. Did you know there are special toilet seats for heavy people ? These wider, larger seats and heavy duty construction designed to hold 800 lbs or more. Apart from their high capacity, they make sitting on the toilet much more comfortable for a heavy person. You can see our top picks and reviews in the link above.
Our Top Picks for the Best High Capacity Bariatric Scale
#1 –EatSmart Precision 550 Pound Extra High Capacity Digital Bathroom Scale
First up we have this EatSmart model high capacity scale. It holds up to 550 pounds, so it has a pretty high weight limit. It also has some other great features, including a really large platform space. Let’s take a look at some of the other features.
- Large display that actually keeps your weight shown so that you can get off of the scale to see how much you weight. Sometimes it is hard to see while standing on it, especially trying to stand still.
- Beeping feature makes a beeping noise when your weight is displayed, so that you don’t have to wait. It also shows almost instantly, so there is really no wait time.
- The auto shut off feature helps to save the battery life by turning the scale off after a few seconds.
- There is no way to track your weight loss with this scale. It does not have any memory to keep previous weights for tracking.
- It weighs around eight pounds. This is a bit more than some of the other bathroom scales out there, but it does add to the durability of the scale.
#2 – My Weigh 700 lb Talking Bathroom Scale
Next, we have the My Weigh 700 lb Talking Bathroom Scale. This scale has a lot of great features, and has been known to be super accurate. It has a sturdy look and feel that is built to last. The larger, wider platform is designed especially with heavy persons in mind. The wide, sturdy platform will give you solid footing and balance.
While is has a clear number display that is easier to read than many average scales, the great feature on this scale is that it actually tells you your weight out loud! Great for people with poor vision but also a nice feature if you have a hard time seeing your current scale over your belly- since the scale talks to you there is no need to look down.
The My Weigh bathroom scale is also one of the highest capacity scales on the retail market, holding up to 700 pounds. While there are other high capacity scales that match these, they are often sterile looking medical devices designed for doctors offices and hospitals-that would look weird in a home bathroom, whereas this scale has a sleek and elegant all black design that will fit in with most home bathroom decor.
- Ultra large platform that allows you to stand with ease, without fear of it not being large enough.
- Has a feature that actually allows you to hear your weight, spoken aloud. You can even change the language of this feature, with four different languages to choose from.
- You can weigh in different modes, including pounds, kilograms, and ST. This gives versatility, and allows it to be used by people all over the world using different standards of measurements.
- Inability to track progress, as there is no memory available to store information from previous weights.
- Some consumers say that the latch to the battery door is weak, and sometimes falls off. This can cause the batteries to fall out.
#3 – iDOO Heavy Duty Precision Ultra Wide Oversized Digital Bathroom Scale
Finally, we have the iDOO Heavy Duty Precision Ultra Wide scale. This scale is not only really wide, but it also is durable and steady. It also has some other great features that you will want to know about. The main disadvantage is that it doesn’t hit the 500 lb max. We debated adding this scale to the list but since many of our readers are looking for a high capacity scale but don’t necessarily need to 500 pound feature we decided to include it. It still has a high capacity of 440 pounds and because of the features and stylish marble design we wanted to include it on our list.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the other details of this scale.
- Marbled design looks really great, and offer an elegant accent to any bathroom. It is not only stylish, but also really accurate.
- Four precision sensors ensure that you get the most accurate reading of your weight each and every time. This is a plus for people who are watching their weight carefully.
- Backlit display allows you to see your weight, even in the dark. It is also a pretty big screen, so you can read it with ease.
- It doesn’t quite hold 500 pounds. It can hold up to 440 pounds safely.
- If you weigh more than this, then this is not be the right scale for you.
- You cannot store previous weight readings, but that is really not something that is common in higher capacity scales.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are a lot of great high capacity bariatric scales out there for you to choose from. Make sure that you find a scale that will not only support your weight, but will also be easy to see and track. This is why we recommend the My Weigh Talking Bathroom Scale. You are sure to be happy with this high capacity scale, or one of the others that we mentioned. Just be sure to check the maximum weight on any scale before you purchase it.
Also if you are carrying this amount of weight, for safety reasons you might want to consider a bariatric shower stool which can allow to you sit in the shower and are made with no-slip features that make it safer to shower and to transfer in and out of the shower. You can check out our detailed reviews and top picks for best heavy duty shower chairs here.